Trimming (or obsoleting) %changelog?

Andy Grimm agrimm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 01:53:20 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Dan Fruehauf <malkodan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I tend to be against trimming. I was just looking at the binutils
> changelog (goes back to 1997):
> $ rpm -q --changelog binutils | wc -c
> 54984
>
> That's around 50K, and compressed (RPMs are compressed):
> $ rpm -q --changelog binutils | gzip | wc -c
> 15552
>
> 15K is nothing. Really. I like to see the whole history of a package, it's
> nice and fun.
>
> Perhaps other packages has larger changelogs. I guess common sense is what
> we should use, but generally speaking I'd say don't trim, as it doesn't
> really matter and it's cleaner to have a full changelog, rather than a
> story which starts somewhere in the middle.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what packages have huge changelogs?

A lot of them are the ones you'd expect -- toolchain-related packages that
have been around forever like gcc, gdb, glibc.  SELinux related packages
have pretty huge changelogs, too.  I think the winner for greatest
changelog growth rate is likely rhc (the OpenShift client): over 350
entries in less than two years.  :-)

Andy