Trimming (or obsoleting) %changelog?

Florian Festi ffesti at redhat.com
Wed Apr 17 03:10:20 UTC 2013

On 04/17/2013 10:25 AM, Dan Fruehauf wrote:
> That's around 50K, and compressed (RPMs are compressed):
> $ rpm -q --changelog binutils | gzip | wc -c
> 15552
>
> 15K is nothing. Really. I like to see the whole history of a package,
> it's nice and fun.

That's not correct. The change log is stored within the rpm header which
is not compressed. While there have been efforts to compress the header
those changes have not (yet) made it upstream as it would make rpm
packages completely incompatible with older rpm versions.

For limiting the change log entries in the binary packages
%_changelog_trimtime can be used that take a unix time stamp as an
integer value. This way the whole history is still available in the spec
file.

Florian