Bundled copies of the Porter stemmer library

Petr Pisar ppisar at redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 14:32:49 UTC 2013

On 2013-04-17, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:
> Ugh, hit "Send" too soon.
>
> I found some packages which embed copies of the Porter stemmer library
> (PostgreSQL, tracker, pl, etc.).  Should I file bugs once I have the
> full list, or should I apply for a bundling exception?
>
> I don't know if the existing copies are patched in significant ways.

The SWI Prologue (pl package) modifies the code and modifes the old
Relase 1 (current Porter's release is
2 <http://tartarus.org/martin/PorterStemmer/c.txt>). I worry unbundling
will not be easy because upstream does not provide a library but
a simple C code (no headers, no interface) and because pl changes some
prototypes to fit better to the pl and of course adds the binding
helpers. Unified diff has 980 lines of 383 upstream lines now.

-- Petr