Expanding the list of "Hardened Packages"

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 18 15:39:43 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> said:
> I should have been clearer.  I meant passing pointers between non-C
> languages is likely not possible.

Well, it depends on the language, but it is probably possible with some
glue code (not necessarily practical though).  For example, giving perl
code a pointer isn't particularly useful, since perl doesn't provide for
random memory access that way.  It would be possible for an XS module to
provide access to the memory at the location though.

> We also suffer this problem in reverse: passing a pointer between two
> C libraries is not possible in another non-C language.  eg.  Passing a
> libvirt virDomainPtr from (Perl) Sys::Virt to Sys::Guestfs.

Why do you say that?  I'm pretty sure you can.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>