Expanding the list of "Hardened Packages"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Apr 18 16:05:36 UTC 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:39:43AM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones at redhat.com> said:
> > We also suffer this problem in reverse: passing a pointer between two
> > C libraries is not possible in another non-C language.  eg.  Passing a
> > libvirt virDomainPtr from (Perl) Sys::Virt to Sys::Guestfs.
>
> Why do you say that?  I'm pretty sure you can.

I shouldn't say "not possible", but not very easy.  A virDomainPtr in
Sys::Virt is wrapped in some object which is very specific to the
internals of Sys::Virt, thus cannot be extracted by Sys::Guestfs.  It
would require Sys::Virt to have a separate C library to provide this.

One advantage of gobject is it can do this sort of thing, although IME
gobject has so many other disadvantages that it's not worth
considering for serious bindings.

Rich.