Package-split upgrade path

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 22:30:47 UTC 2013

Hello,

In python-pillow (the python imaging fork which replaced PIL in F19+),
there is a module (ImageQt) which requires PyQt4, but that dependency is
missing in python-pillow (and in python-imaging before). I don't really
like adding PyQt4 as a dependency to the main package, since it pulls in
lots of stuff. So, I'd go for creating a python-pillow-qt subpackage
(albeit with just one file), and now am wondering about the upgrade
path. From what I can see, there is just one package which uses the
ImageQt module (pony, which actually looks to be rather unmaintained).
Question: What is the best way to proceed?

Thanks,
Sandro