Bundled copies of the Porter stemmer library

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri Apr 19 08:37:51 UTC 2013

On 04/18/2013 04:32 PM, Petr Pisar wrote:
> On 2013-04-17, Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Ugh, hit "Send" too soon.
>>
>> I found some packages which embed copies of the Porter stemmer library
>> (PostgreSQL, tracker, pl, etc.).  Should I file bugs once I have the
>> full list, or should I apply for a bundling exception?
>>
>> I don't know if the existing copies are patched in significant ways.
>
> The SWI Prologue (pl package) modifies the code and modifes the old
> Relase 1 (current Porter's release is
> 2 <http://tartarus.org/martin/PorterStemmer/c.txt>).

I think you're packaging the newer Snowball-generated stemmers.  Those
are available from <http://snowball.tartarus.org/>, and there are actual
release tarballs (albeit unversioned ones).  As you can see, upstream
has added support for additional languages which you still have to pick
up.  This upstream development activity seems to be a fairly strong
argument against bundling.