Trimming (or obsoleting) %changelog?

Alex G. mr.nuke.me at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 01:16:15 UTC 2013

On 04/15/2013 05:30 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Is there any guidance as when to trim %changelog down to size? Some
> packages have thousands of lines of spec file dating back over 15
> years which seem kinda redundant now we're using git.

I've always seen the %changelog as a relic from times when we didn't
have reliable source SCMs. For me, it is redundant (and boring) to have
to update the %changelog, while I have the exact same information in the
git history.

I think the best way to go is to obsolete %changelog, and extract the
changelog directly from git history. I don't care as much about how far
back it should go. As far as knowing the package version (i.e. 1.2.3-6)
for each commit, that can easily be handled with a git hook.

So, why bother putting similar information in two places when there are
better ways to go?

Alex