Embedded SIG

Markus Mayer lotharlutz at gmx.de
Sun Apr 21 12:21:28 UTC 2013

On 04/21/2013 02:05 PM, Dan Mashal wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Markus Mayer <lotharlutz at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have started developing for embedded devices (aka microcontrollers) lately
>> (mainly ARM cortex-M3 devices). Although fedora provides some of the needed
>> tools, there are still some bits missing to provide a good out-of-the-box
>> experience.
>>
>> So I have decide to ask if there are others like me, and if there are
>> willing to form a SIG (special interest group) to enhance embedded
>> developing with fedora.
>>
>> I think the main things to discuss within the sig are:
>> - Finding out what fedora is missing to provide a good develepmont
>> experience
>> - Packaging (Cross-compilers, cross-debugers, ...)
>>
>> So if you are interested in helping to move thinks further or if you have
>> any interesting/help-full information, I would highly appreciate your help.
>>

>> regards
>>
>> Markus
>> --
>
> How does this differ from the already existing ARM sig?
>
> Dan

Yes, there are many overlaps. But the goals are different (Bringing
Fedora (as a whole) to arm devices vs. providing a good development
environment/experience for developing for embedded devices).

Maybe some examples make is more clear.
Overlaps:
- cross compiler for arm (please note that the arm sig is not required
to provide it, because all builds must be self hosted)
- Providing cross-platform gdb builds (right there is not such a
package, so the arm sig apparently does not need one (but maybe it would
also be usefull for them))

Differences:
- Not tied to one platform (embedded devices also uses mips and others)
- Focusing on embedded devices (like providing tools to debug via jtag
(like openocd))

But of course I am not insisting on forming an sig. If a subgroup of the
secondary arch sig would be a better choice, I would happily follow.