NetworkManager: do not tend missing hardware

Dan Winship danw at redhat.com
Thu Apr 25 15:56:19 UTC 2013

On 04/25/2013 10:38 AM, John Reiser wrote:
> When booting a Live spin, how can I tell NetworkManager to avoid any hardware
> that is not present?  There is [and will be] no ISDN, no ADSL, no dialup modem,
> no Bluetooth, no wired ethernet; and I want to reduce RAM usage as much as possible.

Well, if the hardware is not present, then NM avoids it, right?

You can't currently compile out support for any of the base types, if
that's what you mean. There is some infrastructure to make a device type
be a loadable module (which is done for WiMAX for external-dependency
reasons). But it's not clear that you'd actually save any runtime memory
by doing this, since none of the other device types pull in external
libraries, and for the most part, if you don't have a particular kind of
device, then the code in NM to support that device is just not going to
get paged in.

-- Dan