Package-split upgrade path

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Thu Apr 25 16:43:53 UTC 2013

Sandro Mani wrote:

> On 19.04.2013 17:58, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Sandro Mani wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In python-pillow (the python imaging fork which replaced PIL in F19+),
>>> there is a module (ImageQt) which requires PyQt4, but that dependency is
>>> missing in python-pillow (and in python-imaging before). I don't really
>>> like adding PyQt4 as a dependency to the main package, since it pulls in
>>> lots of stuff. So, I'd go for creating a python-pillow-qt subpackage
>>> (albeit with just one file), and now am wondering about the upgrade
>>> path. From what I can see, there is just one package which uses the
>>> ImageQt module (pony, which actually looks to be rather unmaintained).
>>> Question: What is the best way to proceed?
>> make python-pillow-qt include
>>
>> Obsoletes: python-pillow <  #last_EVR_before_qt_subpkg_existed#
>> Requires: python-pillow = %{version}-%{release}
>>
> Thanks

Upon further reflection...  Turns out in this case that was not entirely
good advice.  I'd erroneously assumed there was qt support in the package
prior to this.

Since that PyQt4 support is new, what ends up happening is that users with
the older python-pillow installed, will now get python-pillow *and* python-
pillow-qt (and PyQt4 stack along with it).

Unless, that is what you want by design?

-- rex