New PackageDB deployed. Now with less features and more focus

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 18:08:26 UTC 2013

Quite a few months ago we announced that we were going to start the process
of moving features that were not central to the Package Database's mission
of managing package maintainer's acls from packagedb into other
applications.  We've now deployed the first release that starts implementing
this.

PackageDB 0.6.0 removes several sections of the PackageDB's UI:

* tags and ratings are gone.  Use https://apps.fedoraproject.org/tagger
  instead.
* Applications is gone.  Use https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages instead
* builds is gone.  In the future, we hope that this will be merged into
 https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages as well

These changes are the first step in making the code base more manageable as
we embark on more and more changes.

Many thanks to fchiulli and pingou who were the major contributors to this
release.

pingou has been busily working on a PackageDB2 version that will have a
better API (pingou wrote the pkgdb-cli command line tool for interacting
with the packagedb) and a web ui that's more streamlined for the common
cases that maintainers have.  Over the next year we expect that there will
be many more changes that may require updates to scripts that are making use
of the APIs but where possible we should be publishing guidance for porting
and we'll be available on IRC and email to help out.

Thanks,
-Toshio