Self Introduction

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 22:47:17 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:00 AM, David Beveridge <dave at bevhost.com> wrote:

> Hi, my name is David Beveridge.  my username is bevhost (Beveridge
> Internet Hosting)
>
> I have been using redhat since about version 3. After version 9, it
> split into fedora core and enterprice linux, I used fedora for while
> until centos came out and I've pretty much been using that ever since.
>  I've also dabbled in SME Server (e-smith server and gateway), which
> is kind of like Microsoft Small Business Server but build on CentOS.
>
> I now work for an ISP here in Australia that has a network of captive
> portals providing Internet access (mostly to university students), but
> also in shopping centers etc.
>
> We have around 20,000 subscribers on the service.
>
> The back end servers run on ESX using CentOS 6 with nginx, php,
> freeradius and MariaDB cluster using Multi-Master-MySQL.
>
> We have no-where near enough IPv4 addresses to give everyone a public
> address.
> One of our problems is that captive portals rely on NAT and support
> for NAT on IPv6 is just not happening for now anyway.
>
> So it looks like we'll have to look at other means of connecting our
> customers.
> They can connect via the captive portal and get a Private IPv4 address
> behind our NAT or they can run PPPoE to get a better service with
> Public Addresses.
>
> Most ISP use PPPoE to connect customers, but for this to work with
> IPv6, it is important that customers be allocated an IPv6 Global
> Address.
> To do this you need a DHCPv6 Client package that supports DHCPv6
> Prefix Delegation over PPP.

Hmmm. Can't you just offer a very modest IPv6 discount to serve most
customers, and use a variety of internal VPN services to manage the IPv4
based services? Or do you still require NAT to serve the customers who just
plain aren't ready for IPv6 (which is, sadly, so many of them!)

My observation as a customer, and as an IT consultant these days, is that
it's *amazing* what you can get away with if you offer a discount for it.
(And yeah, we're of vaguely similar length of experience. My first Linux or
UNIX was actually Minix. My first professionally supported Linux was  Red
Hat 4.2. Not RHEL 4.2, Red Hat 4.2. That confuses recruiters these days....