udev rules, ACL_MANAGE, udev-acl?

Tomasz Torcz tomek at pipebreaker.pl
Sun Apr 28 11:59:17 UTC 2013

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 05:55:17PM -0600, Eric Smith wrote:
> I'm trying to package something that talks to a USB device. Upstream
> has a udev rule that uses the group "plugdev", which apparently is
> not used in Fedora, and I've seen advice to instead use an
> ACL_MANAGE variable and a udev-acl executable.  However, I can't
> find any documentation on either, and udev-acl no longer even seems
> to exist.  (Was it part of ConsoleKit?)
>
> Is there documentation anywhere on how to write appropriate udev
> rules, or examples thereof?  It appears that everything I can find
> with Google is out of date.

  You need either to classify device in udev rules or tag it with "uaccess".
I made a writeup some time ago:
http://enotty.pipebreaker.pl/2012/05/23/linux-automatic-user-acl-management/
I hope it helps.

--
Tomasz Torcz               RIP is irrevelant. Spoofing is futile.
xmpp: zdzichubg at chrome.pl     Your routes will be aggreggated. -- Alex Yuriev