audacity

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 17:08:08 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Richard Vickery <
richard.vickeryrv at gmail.com> wrote:

> For F18, it appears that the Audacity mp3 build is broken - it won't
> install - and mp3 support is rather important to me; is it possible to get
> this particular build working?

MP3 players, and the DVD library libdvdcss, represent legal problems for US
developers. MP3 is patented, and there are *no* licenses available for
Linux environments.  libdvdcss runs into the protection of digital rights
software in the DMCA, and has even nastier legal protections on it for US
developers.

The result is that there are worldwide software repositories such as
rpmfusion for MP3, MP4, and a lot of other really useful software, and
freshrpms for the libdvdcss that are publicly available. *BUT* you need it
to be legal in the country you're downloading *to* to be able to use them
without threat of prosecution. There's also the Penguin Liberation Front
for a few components with weird licensing that others haven't been able to
resolve usable licenses for.

In order to use MP3 legally, I'm assuming you're in a country without that
bane of development everywhere, software patents, and can legally use
http://rpmfusion.org/. If so, enjoy!!!!