Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

Ian Pilcher arequipeno at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 15:52:57 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 10:01 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> That said, if someone wanted to do the exploration, come up with those
> minimal package sets and propose them for inclusion to comps.xml (with
> the blessing of the related desktop SIG), I have no problems with it
> myself.

To a certain extent, this has already been done.  "yum groupinfo gnome-
desktop" will list the mandatory packages for the group.  (Although it's
still a pretty hefty list.)

AFAIK, there isn't any easy way to install just the mandatory packages
in a group.  One has to set group_package_types in yum.conf.