Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Mon Apr 29 17:21:16 UTC 2013

Le lundi 29 avril 2013 à 16:58 +0200, Sandro Mani a écrit :

> On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Rich Mattes <richmattes at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>         On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 9:07 AM, Sandro Mani
>         <manisandro at gmail.com> wrote:
>                 So, what about creating groups for the various desktop
>                 environments which pull in basesystem + xorg + mesa
>                 drivers + displaymanager + bare desktop shell?
>

>         Do the groups already provided in comps.xml[1] not work for
>         this task?
>
>         Currently, one can use yum's groupinstall option to install
>         the gnome, kde, xfce, lxde, mate, and cinnamon desktops and
>         desktop environments.
>
>         Rich
>

> Well, those groups are not exactly minimal.

But minimal is not well defined. We have tried that at Mageia, and what
i can say :
- no one agree on what minimal mean
( cause everybody want something more later, or there is people
complaining that minimal is too minimal )
- having minimal and non-minimal just confuse users, which were the
primary target of having groups in the first place.

So that was not working that well.

So before asking for that, you should define minimal in term of features
( ie, not in term of packages, cause that's already too low level and
was the cause of misunderstanding, because people didn't define the use
case others than "I want to have this installed cause I said so" ).

IE, what do you expect to work and what shouldn't.
Because in the end, if what you want is just "kwin" or "gnome-shell",
then just install them.

Something we could do is to have a specific provide for each session,
like "yum install session(gnome)" that would take what is needed to have
"gnome" in *dm listed as a choice, and i think that would fit the
definition of minimal.

--
Michael Scherer