audacity

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 23:55:49 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:20:30 -0400
> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > This is nonsense. There are enough "licenses for the linux
>> > environment". A lot of vendors have licensed MP3 en/decoders that
>> > work on the linux. The point is that there is no licensed open
>> > source mp3 en/decoder.
>>
>> Name 2.
>
> http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/fluendo-mp3-decoder/
> http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads-linux4-update.php

Neither of which address the existing MP3 patent issues, only software
copyright issues. Mind you, Most of these patents are finally
expiring, and the existing court cases have been.... oddm and usually
settled out of court. But there's nothing in those licenses that
protects you from the existing patent claims of Alcatel-Lucent, or of
Texas MP3 Technologies, or those of a Japanese electronics firm I used
to work for. (Ask privately if curious.)