audacity

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 00:31:38 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:55 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Neither of which address the existing MP3 patent issues, only software
> copyright issues. Mind you, Most of these patents are finally
> expiring, and the existing court cases have been.... oddm and usually
> settled out of court. But there's nothing in those licenses that
> protects you from the existing patent claims of Alcatel-Lucent, or of
> Texas MP3 Technologies, or those of a Japanese electronics firm I used
> to work for. (Ask privately if curious.)

https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/legal/2012-May/001904.html

"We'll revisit decoding in late 2015, barring sanity in US patent law
spontaneously appearing (or the Mayan apocalypse rendering the issue
irrelevant)."

Since the Mayan apocalypse did not render the issue irrelevant (and
that was clearly the more plausible of the two posited scenarios),
we'll have to wait until 2015.

-T.C.