Idea: "{Gnome,KDE,Xfce,...} Minimal Desktop" groups

Sandro Mani manisandro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 23:37:34 UTC 2013

On 30.04.2013 11:38, Kalev Lember wrote:
> On 29/04/13 16:58, Sandro Mani wrote:
>>> Do the groups already provided in comps.xml[1] not work for this task?
>> Well, those groups are not exactly minimal.
> We already have one set of minimal desktop functionality defined by the
> critical path groups. There are groups for GNOME, KDE, LXDE, XFCE. I am
> not sure how much they cover for other desktops, but the GNOME critical
> path group should (hopefully) be enough to bring up a minimal Shell.
>

> On 30/04/13 01:49, Sandro Mani wrote:
>> To make an example:
>> gnome3: "Minimal Install" + mesa-dri-drivers xorg-x11-server-Xorg
>> xorg-x11-drivers gnome-session-xsession gnome-shell telepathy-logger
>> (and possibly control-center)
> Does this work for you well enough?
> # yum install @critical-path-gnome
The gnome one is close, the kde one not: critpath contains kdelibs and
kdm, but a minimal set would rather look like
base + xorg + mesa + kdm kde-workspace dejavu-sans-fonts
dejavu-sans-mono-fonts
(here it might be a good idea to have the dejavu-sans-fonts as
dependencies of kdm / kde-workspace?)

Anyway, to draw a conclusion from this discussion, I guess that having a
consistent way (read: consistent package / group name) of installing a
minimal shell of Desktop Environment XY is not something many people
miss, so for the interested I could post my minimal lists I've put
together so far on a wiki page.

>> (FWIW, I guess telepathy-logger should be a dependency of gnome-shell)
> I'll look into adding the telepathy-logger dep to gnome-shell. I guess
> something should have a dep on gnome-session-xsession as well, possibly
> also gnome-shell.
Thanks!