heads up - Qt qreal difference on ARM

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri Aug 2 09:38:28 UTC 2013

> https://developer.android.com/training/articles/perf-tips.html#avoidfloat
>
> there's no difference on modern hardware.  (Note I didn't verify this.)

That's about the Dalvik implementation.  Other comments on that page
suggest that it's so inefficient that a difference between float and
double argument passing and computation overhead might be lost in that
noise.

Hardware floating point operations except division should only take one
cycle, for both single and double precision.  If VFP requires passing
double values in 32-bit register pairs, that might add some overhead,
though.

> Judging by a google search for "qreal" "float" "arm" this difference
> causes endless problems.  I even found a Fedora build bug related to it.
>
> However it's a matter for upstream to fix it.  Not something we could
> carry around only in Fedora IMHO.

I would expect that consistency across Fedora architectures is more
important than alignment to upstream.