F20 System Wide Change: Web Assets

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Aug 4 08:44:34 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 07:54:38PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Mar 23 juillet 2013 19:26, T.C. Hollingsworth a écrit :

> > AFAICS it shouldn't be too hard to script up something so this would
> > as easy as `fixfontmd --copyright "$(head -n3 LICENSE)" --licensedesc
> > "$(cat LICENSE)" --licenseurl "http://example.com/LICENSE"` for
> > packagers.
> >
> > I'd be happy to add a guideline for this and fix up existing packages
> > if this seems amenable.
>
> If you can write a tool that makes it easy to fix opentype licensing
> fields at build time, I'll be delighted to support any guideline change
> that mandated its use. However if you go in this direction please check on
> the fonts and openfontlibrary list knowledgeable people agree there are no
> wrong side-effect (this will reach debian font packagers at least BTW)

The guideline should be to ask upstream to fix the meta data. In case of
missing license text (e.g. source code with a GPL header but no copy of
the GPL itself), it is also upstream's task to fix it and the packager's
to ask for it. And if upstream fixes it, the debian font packagers do
not need to replicate Fedora's effort.

Regards
Till