latex not working in F20: "I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!"

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Aug 5 07:47:02 UTC 2013

One package wouldn't rebuild because latex doesn't work.  I get the error:

  cd doc/res/latex && \
  latex doc.tex && \
  latex doc.tex && \
  dvips  doc.dvi -o doc.ps
  This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013)
   restricted \write18 enabled.

  kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
  I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

I'm BuildRequiring the following:

  BuildRequires:  texlive-texconfig, texlive-latex-bin-bin, texlive-dvips-bin
  BuildRequires:  texlive-metafont-bin, texlive-cm, texlive-ec
  BuildRequires:  texlive-preprint, texlive-cm-super, ghostscript
  BuildRequires:  texlive-pdftex-bin

which works in Fedora 19, doesn't work in Fedora 20.

The missing file is /var/lib/texmf/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt, but I've no
idea how this file gets created, nor why it doesn't get created on
Fedora 20.  'latex.fmt' is not mentioned in any RPM script that I have
installed on F19.

Ideas where to look?

And, just generally asking, WTF is going on with texlive?
'texlive-latex-bin-bin' seriously?

Rich.