Any objection to upgrading to Vala 0.21/0.22 ?

Michael Catanzaro mike.catanzaro at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 13:17:02 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 14:54 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 08/06/2013 02:47 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>
>  > Several GNOME modules (gnome-chess, gnome-clocks, baobab) require
> > 0.21/0.22 already, so not upgrading means building them only from C.  I
> > guess 0.22 will be released in September since it has consistently
> > followed the GNOME release schedule for major releases.
>
> Ugh, does this mean that we don't build these components from source
> code?  How do we handle bug fixes?  Patch the generated C sources?
You'd have to build Vala yourself to generate the C.  That, or patch the
module to require lesser Vala, which may or may not be easy (for
gnome-chess you'd honestly be looking at a three-line patch). But in my
opinion, if a GNOME problem is serious enough to need patched in Fedora,
it should be serious enough for a new upstream release....

I think the reason the packages build in Fedora now is that autoconf
gracefully degrades to building from C if the Vala requirement is not
met.  Perhaps only when maintainer-mode is not in use. (I'm not really
sure; what wonderous magic!)