F20 System Wide Change: Web Assets

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Aug 6 15:16:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:27 AM, Robert Marcano <robert at marcanoonline.com> wrote:
>> You make the decision by installing a js-foo package, just like you
>> make the decision to provide a web application by installing a package
>> for it.

"You make a decision by installing a package" is a really problematic
model, e.g. because packages can be dragged in by dependencies.

> Do you know there are GNOME JavaScript applications? And that JavaScript is
> being encouraged as a language for desktop applications? So all those
> libraries that can be used on desktop and web clients will be shared by
> default if I install a desktop application that need that library and a web
> application that never uses that library? This is madness, why not share
> /usr/bin via NFS too by default

There is actually a precedent for that - our default httpd
configuration aliases /icons, see e.g.
https://fedoraproject.org/icons/apache_pb2.png .  OK, these are "only"
public domain; then let's see httpd-manual, which publishes
Apache-licensed documentation in /manual.

(That's not necessarily a good argument that it's OK to do this way, I
just wanted to point out that this is not that new.)
    Mirek