gdcm FTBFS: texlive broken in rawhide?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Aug 6 23:06:57 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-08-06 at 13:16 -0300, Paulo César Pereira de Andrade wrote:
> 2013/8/6 Simone Caronni <negativo17 at gmail.com>:
> > On 6 August 2013 17:38, Jan Kratochvil <jan.kratochvil at redhat.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Package owner Jindrich Novy is no longer in Red Hat so I am not sure how
> >> quickly it may get fixed.
> >

> > I really hope the next mantainer can manage a 14 mb spec file :)
>
>   In Mandriva I did a work very similar to current Fedora texlive, but I did
> create almost 3k packages so that could update only was really required;
> it should be possible to live with around 1.6k packages, but I preferred
> to let upstream handle dependencies,  and match 1 to 1 upstream
> packages (http://mirrors.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/archive). But,
> I am still to start updating it again, now in OpenMandriva, was just left
> in a stable state as of like 6 months ago...
>
>   But something like that would not be viable in Fedora, if needing a
> review request and approval for every small package...

The single SRPM was sold as a *feature* when 2012 was added:

"The centralized packaging (i.e. everything is generated and built form
single SRPM) also allows simpler maintenance than having several
thousands separate TeX packages."

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive

When I had occasion to look at how texlive is built a few months back it
struck me as the most hideous packaging thing I've ever come across, but
that's just MHO.

In case anyone isn't aware: you're not even supposed to manage the 14MB
spec file, you are supposed to manage the C code and ersatz build system
which *generates* the 14MB spec file.
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/texlive.git/tree/tl2rpm.c - I have to
admit, when I was trying to fix a bug, I could never get to the point of
getting that to compile and spit out the .spec file at all. I think
you're supposed to run
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/texlive.git/tree/b_one_srpm , but it
failed in weird ways, for me.
--