F20 System Wide Change: Perl 5.18

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Aug 7 01:01:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:39:31 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 11:10 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:23:51 +0000 (UTC)
> > Petr Pisar <ppisar at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Currently 5.18.0 does not pass one test when running in mock and
> > > koji. (It's because of the terminal usage in tested perl
> > > debugger.) We think we could have solved this issue in a few days.
> >
> > Cool.
> >
> > > Could you explain how the side tag inheritance works? It inherits
> > > everything from rawhide, even builds made after the side tag
> > > creation,
> >
> > yes.
> >
> > > except packages whose builds have been already made in the side
> > > tag. Am I right? That means we still get fresh third-party
> > > dependencies from rawhide.
> >
> > yes. However, there's are several downsides:
> >
> > - Each side tag adds newrepo tasks which increases load a lot.
> > - If you rebuild perl-foo-1.0-1 in the side tag against the new
> > perl, then the maintainer has to fix something in rawhide, they
> > would build perl-foo-1.0-2 in rawhide and when the side tag was
> > merged back over either everyone would get the older one with the
> > bug, or the newer one against the old perl. So, it's really
> > important to not take a long time using a side tag to avoid this
> > problem as much as possible.
>
> Seems like this one came true in practice. It seems like a 5.18
> rebuild run was done in a side tag and then merged back into Rawhide.
> Unfortunately, quite a lot of the 5.18 rebuilds seem to have been done
> prior to the general F20 mass rebuild - so the mass rebuild won out,
> and effectively squelched the perl rebuild.

The f20-perl tag was merged back before the mass rebuild was started.
so everything in the mass rebuild was built against the new perl.
however because the perl rebuild was at a week there was quite a few
packages rebuilt against the old perl. we need to work out how to build
perl quicker. your analysis is not really correct.

Dennis