F20 System Wide Change: Web Assets

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Wed Aug 7 08:20:23 UTC 2013

Hello,

Many web apps use an optimization technique where they try to minimize
the number of httpd request by concatenating minified versions into one
file. Example: app uses 20 tiny jQuery plugins.

Similar use case is when app is using AMD modules and uses only a subset
of modules from a huge lib like Dojo+Dijit+Dojox. Loading whole lib is
not an option - too big. One usually creates a custom build.

Does the proposal count with these use cases?

As I read the packaging guidelines [1], one could use the static
inclusion of libraries for it. I don't think it was designed for it, though.

Related Q: What will happen when included library gets updated?

[1]
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Patches/PackagingDrafts/JavaScript#Static_Inclusion_of_Libraries

--
Petr Vobornik