F20 System Wide Change: Perl 5.18

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Aug 7 09:57:41 UTC 2013

On 07/08/13 09:56, Marcela Mašláňová wrote:
> On 08/07/2013 03:01 AM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:39:31 -0700
>> Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Seems like this one came true in practice. It seems like a 5.18
>>> rebuild run was done in a side tag and then merged back into Rawhide.
>>> Unfortunately, quite a lot of the 5.18 rebuilds seem to have been done
>>> prior to the general F20 mass rebuild - so the mass rebuild won out,
>>> and effectively squelched the perl rebuild.
>>
>> The f20-perl tag was merged back before the mass rebuild was started.
>> so everything in the mass rebuild was built against the new perl.
>> however because the perl rebuild was at a week there was quite a few
>> packages rebuilt against the old perl. we need to work out how to build
>> perl quicker. your analysis is not really correct.
>>
>> Dennis
>>
> If someone knows about a tool, which can give build order faster than
> Petr's tool, then it would help ;-)

How long does Petr's tool take? My script runs in a couple of hours,
most of which is the time it takes to grok the bootstrap build
dependencies from git. It also only considers building packages that
provide perl modules (basically those that would need a MODULE_COMPAT_*
dependency) rather than everything that merely might have the slightest
dependency on perl.

Paul.