Review Swap

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Aug 8 03:11:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 7, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Given the profound advantages of IMAP, especially the management of folders
> on one server, and the historical fact that *every single POP3 client*
> defaults to deleting the email off the server, I have to ask: why are you
> spending any time on such a server?
>
> I've done a lot of integration work with SMTP servers and client access, and
> have to wonder why you're doing this with so many stable servers available.

You may find the "advantages" of IMAP "profound" but I personally find
the IMAP protocol incredibly ugly, and I think that mail clients have
suffered because of it.  That said, if you want to be able to
access/manipulate multiple folders on the server then IMAP is
currently the only game in town.  If all you want to do is pull the
latest messages from the server down to the client then POP3 is much
simpler and understandable.  Having a POP3 server written in your
scripting language of choice makes it much easier to
configure/customize/understand.

--
Jeff Ollie