ExecStart line in systemd service files.

Michael Scherer misc at zarb.org
Thu Aug 8 21:54:34 UTC 2013

Le jeudi 08 août 2013 à 20:55 +0100, আনন্দ কুমার সমাদ্দার Ananda
Samaddar a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> I'm in the process of packaking kwakd for Fedora.  On the user list
> Rahul Sundaram mentioned that the service file should not use a
> hardcoded path to the binary.

So, the mail was :
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2013-July/438912.html

And I think Rahul refered to :

#patch systemd service file to point to /usr/bin and not /usr/local/bin
%patch0 -p0

> Previously the ExecStart line read like this:
>
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/kwakd -p 80
>
> After speaking to upstream and passing on Rahul's comments upstream
> changed it to this:
>
> ExecStart=kwakd -p 80
>
> However when using the service file with the above line kwakd fails to
> start.  I've had a quick look at some already installed service files
> and they all seem to include the full path to the binary.
>
> Can someone tell me what the correct line should be taking into account
> Rahul's comment?

The path must be the full path, but it must ideally be changed by
configure or make.

IE, if I install the software in /opt/mysoftware with ./configure
--prefix=/opt/mysoftware
it should also generate a systemd file that use the correct path
after ./configure & make. For the exact way of doing that, you have to
see autoconf manual, and I do not have a example ready to give.

--
Michael Scherer