F19 server install experience

Samuel Sieb samuel at sieb.net
Fri Aug 9 22:54:03 UTC 2013

I realize it's been a while since F19 was released but I finally got
around to do a server install.  Since there have been a few negative
reviews here of the installation process I thought it might be nice to
have a mostly positive one.  Here are my observations:

VLAN setup for installing!  Yay!  However, after rebooting,
NetworkManager wasn't able to bring it up, something about not knowing
the "virtual interface name".  Turned out to be the ethernet interface
name changed from what it was at install time.

Didn't detect my timezone.  Not a big deal, but I was hoping it would
since there's been some discussion here about it working.

I'm reinstalling an existing server, so used the custom partitioning.
The only problem I had here was that I clicked on the existing /home
partition to add it to the new install but then couldn't figure out what
to do.  All I saw on the right was lots of disabled form items.
Eventually I read the instructions carefully and then looked at the
mount point entry again and saw that it wasn't disabled.  I wonder if
there is some way to make it more obvious...

After starting the install, I went to enter the root password.  As I was
doing so, the interface appeared to freeze.  I switched through the
consoles and when I got back the interface was working again and the
keys that I had typed had shown up.  One odd thing I noticed while
cycling through the consoles was that console 6 had a login prompt on
it.  I didn't actually try logging in.

The progress bar is strange.  All the package installing barely made it
past a quarter of the way.

Other than the ethernet interface naming issue, just minor cosmetic
issues.  Thanks to everybody involved in getting the installer in such
nice shape.