RFC: Old packages remain on the mirrors for one week

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 12 15:07:43 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Monday, August 12, 2013 09:47 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> So my proposal is thus:
>
> 1. We retain old packages on the mirrors for a minimum of 7 days.
> 2. We regenerate the metadata on every compose like before
> 3. We only include the latest package version in the metadata
> 4. If the user is installing an "old" package we check if the new
> package is a security or important update and re-download all metadata
> if so

How do you know if the new package is a security/important update
without downloading the new metadata?

In fact, how do you even know that there is a new package without
downloading the new metadata?

Other than that, I certainly like this proposal.

It has an added benefit: it could make « yum downgrade » work better.

--
Mathieu