BlueZ Status in Fedora.

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 13:44:48 UTC 2013

On 08/13/2013 02:28 PM, Rave it wrote:
> Other probs are:
> 1. gnome-bluetooth upstream has removed the fallback icon for autostart in session,.......no systray icon in other DE than gnome itself.
> 2. if gnome revert this change in upstream 'OnlyShowIn=MATE" needs to be added.
> 3. Also runtime dependencies needs to be checked, we don't want to be install more gnome as necessary in mate.

I discussed this with raveit65 on IRC and we found a way forward with this.

The issue with MATE switching from mate-bluetooth to gnome-bluetooth is
that gnome-bluetooth no longer ships the panel applet that MATE needs.
This was removed from gnome-bluetooth in commit
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-bluetooth/commit/?id=c54e93e4310342ffce13e15b5a1b9a6ee9500a05
when GNOME stopped shipping the fallback mode.

However, the panel applet code is pretty self contained. The way to make
it work would be to move the panel applet code to a separate package. It
could be called mate-panel-bluetooth or gnome-panel-bluetooth or
similar. The package would then include the panel applet files that are
no longer part of gnome-bluetooth, and link with libgnome-bluetooth.

Anyone interested in teaming up with raveit65 to create a separate
package for this?

This package might also be useful for XFCE/LXDE.

In any case, the best way forward is probably to go on with importing
BlueZ 5 into rawhide so that it can be used as a development platform.
Otherwise it's pretty hard to test the new code.

--
Kalev