Suggestion: bmap files and bmaptool

Björn Persson bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Wed Aug 14 10:24:11 UTC 2013

Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>On Wed, 2013-08-14 at 11:44 +0200, Till Maas wrote:

>> > Should not be difficult to implement if there is demand.
>>
>> SHA-256 is used to create the signatures of other distributed files:
>> https://fedoraproject.org/static/checksums/Fedora-19-i386-CHECKSUM
>>
>> Therefore if bmap is used it should also use at least SHA 256. It is
>> recommended against using SHA-1 for more than 7 years now:
>> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/hash/policy_2006.html
>
>Sure, good point, thank you, I'll implement sha-256 support.

Speaking of security, how is the integrity of the bmap file itself
verified? A checksum is of no use if you don't know who generated the
checksum. Fedora's checksum files are OpenPGP signed, as you can see in
the one that Till linked to. I don't see a cryptographic signature in
your example file. Are there detached signatures for the bmap files?
And does Bmaptool verify the signatures?

--
Björn Persson

Sent from my computer.