Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-08-14)

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 14 17:00:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 10:04:41AM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> I don't see any harm I guess in fesco deciding that we are in favor in
> general of this plan and ask the Board if we are going down a path they
> don't want us to before writing up concrete proposals.

Yeah, I was hoping to have discussion from Flock written up nicely for us to
talk about at this meeting, but given the time and that I haven't eaten
_breakfast_ yet, I don't think that's going to happen. For this meeting, I
have several separate proposals:

1. In order to build what we need for the future of Fedora, FESCO endorses
   the idea of moving from a one-policy-fits-all-software policy to a tiered
   model as roughly laid out in http://mattdm.org/fedora/next, and
   recommends this to the board as the technical underpinning of our
   strategic direction.

2. FESCO-created working group to draft Fedora Base Design as called for
   in that proposal.

3. FESCO-created working group to draft Ring 2 policies and infrastructure
   needs.

4. Ask SCL team and FPC if they can find a way for SCL to be included in
   Fedora in F20 timeframe, within a special area of the current guidelines
   as a trial for ring 2 tech in Fedora.

Also, not yet ready for a proposal but maybe for discussion:

* We recommend Fedora move to a product-centered approach for designing,
  building, and marketing Fedora.

* These products would be Fedora Workstation, Fedora Server, and Fedora
  Cloud (precise definitions to be developed), based around a common core
  shared wherever possible and with infrastructure for other groups based
  around other possible products to develop.