Schedule for Wednesday's FESCo Meeting (2013-08-14)

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 22:49:17 UTC 2013

On 08/14/2013 06:04 PM, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 05:32:15PM -0400, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>
>> Putting one of those at a higher level by default, by recommendation
>> or even just by placing it on the front web page puts the others at
>> disadvantage and will hinder growth and participation in the
>> relevant sub-communities which will result in worse product and in
>> turn will have negative outcome for the project in whole. At least
>> that is how I see it.
> Some projects are objectively better than other projects. Some projects
> may not be objectively better but are more closely aligned with our
> release schedule and support cycles. Some projects are actively
> developed in Fedora and as such can be more cleanly integrated into the
> distribution.

As soon as we slip that argument no longer stands and we always slip...

> Making it easier for users to obtain those projects is doing our users a
> service. It is not our responsibility to encourage growth and
> development of other projects that don't make things better for our
> users, and so it's inappropriate to provide equivalent promotion.

You do realize that each sub community is trying to reach out to their
own target users, even an single application might be reaching to a
specific target audience so in that perspective there is no such thing
as "our users".

So in other words what to take from your response is that you are saying
that you do not want increased participation in the project as whole and
or only for specific areas of the project?

JBG