RFC: Old packages remain on the mirrors for one week

Jan Zelený jzeleny at redhat.com
Thu Aug 15 13:57:25 UTC 2013

On 13. 8. 2013 at 11:04:52, Chris Murphy wrote:
> What's the interval of repomd changes, daily? What approximate percentage of
> the entire repomd changes between day 1 and day 7? If the delta is
> comparatively small to full metadata files, what about implementing a daily
> repomd_delta sorta like deltarpms?

This notion has already been out there for some time and we've got a proof-of-
concept implementation. However even if the design is accepted and the
implementation get finished in both yum and dnf, we are still looking at a long
term solution which will not take place any time soon (you first need to have a
support in the infrastructure everywhere to utilize this functionality).

> I see both yum and dnf downloading large repomd files once the local cache
> is considered stale.

Yes, but the download only takes place once a week instead of every single
day.

Thanks
Jan