Bundled Flash

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 15:25:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 09:09:09AM +0200, Johan De Taeye wrote:
> T.C.,
>
> >>Please remove this prohibited content from your packages, or ensure that
> >>any included .swf files are built from source using a free software
> >>toolchain like `swfc` during the %build phase.
>
> The single SWF file in the frepple package is redistributed from
> "fusioncharts free":
>       http://www.fusioncharts.com/goodies/fusioncharts-free/product-licensing/
> This is also recognized in the "authors" file of the frepple package, which
> lists all third party components that redistributed.
>
> In this context, I plead "unguilty"... I don't see this redistributed SWF as
> inappropriate or prohibited.

* Fedora aims to be self-hosting and to comply with the spirit of freedom 1
  of the free software definition [1]_ which requires source code access.
  Everything that we produce needs to be built from source in the Fedora
  package to satisfy these requirements.
* Fedora also has rules about not bundling code from other upstreams into
  a package.  These rules have just been updated to include web assets
  (javascript, flash, css, common images would all fall under this).
  fusioncharts free (as well as the jquery libraries and potentially some of
  the other things in the AUTHORS file) should likely be packaged in its own
  package for this reason.

The build-from-source is an old requirement so none of these packages should
be violating them.  They should have been caught at review time.

The bundling of web assets is a new requirement.  For most (but not all) new
requirements, FPC typically allows maintainers to fix their existing
packages over the course of their normal updates.  If someone goes through
the trouble to file bugs about this, the bugs should be fixed promptly (as
is the case for any filed bug).  Packages under review must begin
following these guidelines at once.  For this guideline, there will also need to
be a large number of new packages to cover the javascript libraries that
various upstreams are currently bundling.

> In any case, the SWF will be replaced with an HTML5 alternative in the next
> upstream release.

That is great!  Do you have a timeframe for that?  Or could a backport be
done to hurry this along?

.. [1]_: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

-Toshio