BlueZ Status in Fedora.

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Sun Aug 18 21:28:34 UTC 2013

On Sun 18 August 2013 10:00:22 Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 12:40:54 +0200
>
> Rave it <chat-to-me at raveit.de> wrote:
> > I don't see that adding a bluetooth-panel-applet package is easy for
> > mate/xfce/lxde. First tests shows me that the removed panel code from
> > gnome-bluetooth isn't independent from the the rest of the code. I
> > quess for this reason the gnome dev didn't
> > remove /usr/lib64/gnome-bluetooth/libgnome-bluetooth-applet.so.0,
> > which is in latest upstream.
> >
> > Ok, i need really help to create such a package.
> >
> > But there is also another simple solution........
> > gnome-bluetooth dev should add the removed (fallback) panel applet
> > code back. I'm pretty shure that is more easier for someone who knows
> > the code to do that.
> >
> > If gnome-bluetooth is the only client after the bluez5 switch which
> > is working in fedora, than it should be work for all desktops, imo.
> >
> > So adding the applet back would be a noble gesture from gnome to
> > other desktops ;)
> >
> > PS: i think cinnamon is also affected, because so far i know use
> > cinnamon blueman code in the momment. But i'm not shure in this point.
>
> I've exchanged some emails with the author of
> https://github.com/ncopa/xfce-bluetooth
>
> Unfortunately, the code there is in very early alpha stage. It doesn't
> do a whole lot yet. He's happy to have any help implementing things,
> but makes no promises as to when things will be usable.
>
> This applet depends on vala and the xfce-vala bindings, so I am not
> sure if it would work for other desktops, but its possible that it
> could.
>
> If anyone would be interested in helping out with this applet, please
> contact the maintainer.
>
> For Xfce, we could use this if it becomes usable in time, or we could
> use some other systray producting applet, or we could just not support
> bluetooth from the desktop for this release. ;(

It sounds like BlueZ5 is not ready for Fedora, betwen the "early alpha" XFCE
code, and shipping git BlueDevil, mate and cinnamon don't appear to work with
it ...

Basically we ship Fedora 20 in a state where one only of our major desktop
environments supports bluetooth in a stable fashion? That seems kind of like a
disaster waiting to happen.

Ryan

--
Ryan Rix