BlueZ Status in Fedora.

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Mon Aug 19 23:26:18 UTC 2013

The whole reason why the bluez5 package was proposed as a separate one was so that we didn't have to cater for every desktop under the sun that's included in Fedora.

bluez5 would conflict with bluez. If you had both MATE and GNOME installed, you wouldn't be able to upgrade to the latest version of GNOME as it would require bluez5 and the installed MATE bluez (4.x). That was the main idea, and would have avoided breaking all the desktops.

At the end of the day, if somebody pushes bluez 5.x in the old bluez package, and it ends up breaking other things, I'm fine with it as well. Other desktops will need to follow up and make sure they get the porting in updates or admit that they don't have the manpower to keep up with that particular feature.