Mass Rebuild botched up my EVR

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 08:45:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 21:01:03 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> > I just noticed the mass rebuild on Aug 3 botched up my EVR for
> > libreswan:
> >
> > Release: %{?prever:0.}1%{?prever:.%{prever}}%{?dist}.1

The trailing .1 is valid, at least:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:NamingGuidelines#Minor_release_bumps_for_old_branches

It's the script's fallback method for Release tags it doesn't understand.
That happens occasionally for a very few packages, where someone (re)introduces
a Release tag that's too complicated.

Feel free to bump your spec differently whenever you do an update.

> > It should have been:
> >
> > Release: %{?prever:0.}2%{?prever:.%{prever}}%{?dist}
> >
> > The previous version was:
> >
> > Release: %{?prever:0.}1%{?prever:.%{prever}}%{?dist}
> >
> > How can we prevent this from happening again?
>
> rpmdev-bumpspec is the tool that is used to bump the spec files for
> mass rebuild. your use of macros in the release is a bit odd and likely
> confused it. I suggest you keep it simple.

Yes, the script is smart enough to handle a couple of special cases and
also the leading 0.x for pre-releases, but here it simply cannot make sense
of the macro-madness, since the regular expressions it uses don't match at
all in this case.