bisect on fedora kernels

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Tue Aug 20 12:50:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've got a kernel bug where a developer has asked me to try a git
> bisect. Does anyone have tips for doing a kernel bisect with fedora
> kernel packages? I found a koji bisect thing, but the last known good
> kernel is prior to the fedora release the machine is currently
> running, so not sure that is an option. Or do I just have to grit my

That shouldn't really be an issue for the most part.  It would only
impact you if you're hitting issues in an area where the config
options differ between releases, and those are fairly uncommon.  You
can try using koji bisect to start with to at least save yourself some
time.

> teeth and try to get vanilla kernels built and installed?
> Other packages I've just dropped the bisected source directly into my
> rpmbuild, but guessing it's not going to be quite that simple here.

Basically, the best bet is to copy the fedora kernel config into a
kernel git tree and just use git bisect, make bzImage, make modules,
make modules_install, make install.  If you want to save some build
time, trim the config to not include the bajillion modules we ship.

josh