RFC: Spins process changes proposal

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Aug 20 18:29:25 UTC 2013

Greetings.

I'd like to propose some changes to the spins process. I already posted
to the spins and qa lists a while back and asked for feedback. I did
get some good feedback from qa folks, but mostly crickets from spins
maintainers, so I thought I would post an improved draft here and ask
for any additional feedback before I ask FESCo to approve.

The reason I am proposing this is that pretty much every release for
the last 4 or 5 or so we have had spins that are broken or don't work.
We should make an effort to make sure all the spins we do ship actually
at least meet a low bar for 'working'.

Orig thread/proposal at:
https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/spins/2013-July/003282.html

current proposal starts here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins shall be the cannonical
list of approved spins by the sig.

At the Alpha Milestone, releng will produce all approved spins for tc/rc
testing.

Each approved spin MUST have at least 1 person fill in a basic spin
test matrix for at least 1 TC or RC in order to be shipped with Alpha.

If the image fails or there are no test results maintainers can try
again at the next milestone, but the image is NOT shipped with Alpha.

At the Beta Milestone, releng will produce all approved spins minus
those that were not shipped with Alpha. Spins that dropped out at Alpha
can request to be readded to composes via a rel-eng ticket.

Again each spin produced at Beta must have at least 1 person fill in
basic tests in order to be shipped with Beta.

If the image fails or there are no test results maintainers can try
again at the next milestone, but the image is NOT shipped with Beta.

At the Final milestone, releng will produce all approved spins minus
those that were not shipped with Beta. Spins that dropped out at Beta
can request to be re-added to composes via a rel-eng ticket.

If the image fails or there are no test results, the spin is not
shipped with Final. Additionally, spins not shipped in Final are
dropped from the approved spins list and must resubmit their spin via
the new spins process.

The http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Spins page will be
enhanced with a 'Alpha/Beta/Final' field, where we can note what spins
are in what state.

kevin