RFC: Spins process changes proposal

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 20:28:31 UTC 2013

On 08/20/2013 07:59 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Well, this change aims to at least see the QA part of that.
> If they have to do some QA, will a community step up to do so?

The sub-community would have to do the testing while the QA community
would assist them in setting up the test matrix,release criteria
surrounding the relevant spin as I see it.

> Or will that spin just not be shipped?

In the end of the day if the spin is shipped in a bad or unusable state

a)
people will stop using it thus it will fail to build a community
surrounding it self and die off

or

b)
people will become so frustrated that they will step up to improve it,
which in turn they will either succeed and more people join the
community surrounding it or fail and it will die off.

What I propose here set's them ( as in each sub-community ) in control
when they decide to ship ( since they would be doing all the necessary
releng work themselves ) as well as giving them the freedom/flexibility
to ship when they deem themselves ready enough and or align their
release cycle to their upstream.

The releng community in general would not have to provide resource's (
with the exception of assist/guide-ing them through the releng process )
nor have to worry about them but instead could be focusing their
resource only on whatever comes out of the ring discussion ( which would
be the same as the QA community would be doing ).

We in QA already have everything in place to implement this while releng
would have to better explain/document the spin release procedures
although I think Dennis had already started working on improving the
general documentation of releng so it might already be covered.

Which leaves fesco having to come up with some kind cleanup
policy/procedure surrounding this as in when is a spin and surrounding
community declared "failed to succeed" and what to do when that happens.

So basically we should be able to implement this for F21 and onwards as
I see it and F20 be the last cycle infra/releng providing resources and
or bother to keep spins standing on their own to feets so to speak.

JBG