BlueZ Status in Fedora.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 23:53:43 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 04:03:17AM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 02:28:34PM -0700, Ryan Rix wrote:
>
> > Basically we ship Fedora 20 in a state where one only of our major desktop
> > environments supports bluetooth in a stable fashion? That seems kind of like a
> > disaster waiting to happen.
>
> The current release blocking desktops are Gnome and KDE. If those are
> broken then F20 doesn't ship - if they're working, it ships. It'd be
> unfortunate to ship a release that doesn't support the non-blocking
> desktops, but (right now) it's fundamentally up to them to provide the
> development effort to ensure that they have a full feature set.

Actually, due to this Change being submitted after the deadline, this isn't
100% true in this case.  Fesco approved the Change like this:

"
Bluez5  (nirik, 18:54:28)
* AGREED: approve bluez5 landing now -- if the other alternate desktop
  envs agree to not be blocking, they do not need to be fixed in order
  for the feature to stay in.  If they don't we'll need to see that
  they can get bluez5 support in time for F20 or evaluate whether to
  trigger the contingency plan. (+7,0)  (nirik, 19:09:11)
"

At the meeting, nirik expressed the opinion that xfce could ship in Fedora
20 without working bluetooth but he couldn't speak for the other desktop
environments.  The other exnivronments need to decide whether they can (A)
get some working code that works with the new bluetooth stack or (B) are
okay with possibly not shipping with working bluetooth support.  If they
can't and are not then this Change may need to activate its contingency
plan.

-Toshio