slowing down the development schedule for a release.

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Wed Aug 21 10:12:29 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM, Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 06:47:31PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> >> I need to update the documentation. But we need to get to the point
> >> where the releng side is transparent and just happens. The crazy
> >> schedules we have had since f18 have allowed zero time for Release
> >> Engineering and QA to do much in the line of development. this is
> >> entirely a failure of FESCo
> >
> > Without spinning the wheel of blame -- at Flock, we talked about slowing
> > down the crazy train a little bit, probably not for F20 at this point but
> > for F21, specifically so we all have a chance to work on those kind of
> > things.
>
> Why not F20?  FESCo perpetuated the "we don't have a schedule yet so
> we'll do the Not-Before-XXX-Date thing" long enough that it's
> certainly able to do so to extend the schedule.  I fail to see the
> point in forcing an F20 schedule that various parties think is crazy
> just for the sake of sticking to some nebulous dates.  If you're wary
> of the holiday break (which you should be), then push it out well past
> that.

It's too late for F20 I'd say. And yeah, I told people who wanted to do
bigger stuff for F20, to propose it and for example for QA automation,
I'd say there would be support for moving it for a few months... So
everyone had a chance to talk in the right time, restarting it now once
we're branched it's not fair to people, who really submitted theirs
Changes and already planned the development.

And yeah, at Flock, we talked about making more space for F21 - we
can't do releases and new next Fedoras together. One option was
skipping F21 and doing a bigger update instead of release (use bundled
updates if available that time?). But Fedora.next still depends on
resources - if we would even have enough power to do things (mostly
everything can be done immediately, just nobody is working on it/
interested in this time). So I don't expect we would be able to start
that movement now and release F20 later.

Jaroslav