Wider feedback requested on two changes to our base/core defaults

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 10:37:29 UTC 2013

On 08/22/2013 01:06 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-08-21 at 18:45 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
<snip>

>> I would like us to change our default to use long hostname instead as in
>> the fqdn or "container01.ackme.com" and would love any kind of feed back
>> in that regard ( why we should not default to that ).
> +1 always good to show the full name IMO, at least at the ssh/shell
> level, let the pretty graphical UIs be more lax and try to prettify
> things.

I personally have always preferred that as well

>> The downside of doing that ofcourse if you have like 6 level domain name
>> in your infrastructure like "i'm.a.really.long.domain.name.com" it might
>> become a bit of a nuance but administrators could always revert those
>> change to use short hostname instead if that was the case.
> One way to make it less painful could be to preint the fqdn on one line
> and then just login on the next.
> Ie instead of haiving
>
> container01 login:
>
> you would have
>
> container01.my.really.deep.sub.domain.name.hierarchy
> login:
>
> I think people will object less to something like this, after all we
> already print the full fedora name and kernel version on console logins
> in previous lines.

This sounds reasonable I dont know why I did not think of this :)

If we would change the default /etc/issue I would like to add date in
there is well since it has the practical purpose of being able show the
admin if there is significant time difference on the host.

So the final change I propose is ( with the removal )

# /etc/issue

Fedora release 20 (Rawhide)
Kernel \r on an \m (\l)
Host: \n

Today is \d \t

And removal of hostname short string in getty and serial getty

login:

The final output looking like this to users

Fedora release 20 (Rawhide)
Kernel 3.11.0-0.rc5.git6.1.fc20.x86_64 on an x86_64 (console)
Host: container01.example.com

Today is Thu Aug 22  2013 06:35:39

login:

> Sounds like a bad idea.