F21 schedule: what would you do with more time?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 22 16:00:54 UTC 2013

On 08/22/2013 05:03 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Based on discussion at Flock, on the devel mailing list, and in the FESCo
> meeting, we are looking for feedback on the idea of a longer release cycle
> for Fedora 21 -- not (right now at least) the bigger question of the 6-month
> cycle overall, but just, right now, slowing down for a release to get some
> things in order.

E.g. going after these: http://ausil.fedorapeople.org/f20-failed.html

Right now we have ~350+ broken packages, a lengthy series of broken
deps, an unknown amount of defacto unmaintained packages and an unknown
amout of maintainers having gone MIA.

> What Infrastructure projects would be helped by this?
A web infrastructure to
* ease package orphanage.
* launch AWOL/MIA requests
* a unified koji/bodhi/bugzilla Web-GUI
* much longer build.log holding time for FTBFS.

Also,
- faster builders: Introduction of the arm has significantly increased
the turn around times of package building.
- better mirroring: I am having the impression mirrormanager doesn't
work well at all. E.g. this morning, yum sent me around the globe for
rawhide and failed in the end, seemingly because all fast mirrors seem
to be busy loading f20.

> Web and design team,
> would slowing down the release focus allow time to work on, oh, say, getting
> the Wiki beautiful (or does it not matter)?
Well, IMO the web design is the least issue to be concerned about wrt.
the release process and packager works.

What would really make sense is a faster koji/bodhi/bugzilla. From here,
esp. bugilla is such kind of clumsy to use and ... such kind of slooow,
I am glad I don't have to use it.

Ralf