F21 schedule: what would you do with more time?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Aug 22 16:53:52 UTC 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013 18:00:54 +0200
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> On 08/22/2013 05:03 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Based on discussion at Flock, on the devel mailing list, and in the
> > FESCo meeting, we are looking for feedback on the idea of a longer
> > release cycle for Fedora 21 -- not (right now at least) the bigger
> > question of the 6-month cycle overall, but just, right now, slowing
> > down for a release to get some things in order.
>
> E.g. going after these: http://ausil.fedorapeople.org/f20-failed.html
>
> Right now we have ~350+ broken packages, a lengthy series of broken
> deps, an unknown amount of defacto unmaintained packages and an
> unknown amout of maintainers having gone MIA.
>
> > What Infrastructure projects would be helped by this?
> A web infrastructure to
> * ease package orphanage.
> * launch AWOL/MIA requests
> * a unified koji/bodhi/bugzilla Web-GUI
Since we dont run bugzilla I dont know that we could, I did bring up at
flock that id like to see a unified web gui for koji bodhi and
packagedb.

> * much longer build.log holding time for FTBFS.
This is a setting for the cron job that cleans things up. We have it
at a week because we have been tight on space for years. it used to be
two weeks. I just bumped it to four weeks for build logs and 3 weeks
for scratch builds, since we moved to bigger storage recently.

> Also,
> - faster builders: Introduction of the arm has significantly
> increased the turn around times of package building.
> - better mirroring: I am having the impression mirrormanager doesn't
> work well at all. E.g. this morning, yum sent me around the globe for
> rawhide and failed in the end, seemingly because all fast mirrors
> seem to be busy loading f20.
>
> > Web and design team,
> > would slowing down the release focus allow time to work on, oh,
> > say, getting the Wiki beautiful (or does it not matter)?
> Well, IMO the web design is the least issue to be concerned about
> wrt. the release process and packager works.
>
> What would really make sense is a faster koji/bodhi/bugzilla. From
> here, esp. bugilla is such kind of clumsy to use and ... such kind of
> slooow, I am glad I don't have to use it.

we do not run bugzilla, we cant do much about it. there has been people
looking at bugtracking and moving to something we would run.

Dennis